For someone planning to purchase a vaporizer, one of the first things to consider is whether to go for a portable device or choose a desktop vaporizer. While the portable ones are popular and preferred by many, desktop devices also offer tons of advantages, especially for those who are looking for something they can use at home or something more classic and consistent.
Long-time vapers believe that desktop vapes are efficient and potent, specifically in terms of vapor and flavor quality and inhalation. These stationary devices are plugged in and do not rely on batteries to power up. As such, they have a higher potency level than portable vaporizers.
Although they are intended for use at home, tabletop vaporizers are powerful and guarantee high performance. Despite the limited options for where the tabletop vapes can be used, long-time vapers prefer them because they’re durable.
Most desktop vaporizer users are those who seriously and regularly vape. They like smooth-tasting vapor. For them, longer sessions are the ultimate vaping adventure.
Many other factors make a desktop vape interesting. So, if you’re determined to get the best of every dry herb vaping experience, find time to learn more about the options laid out before you. Understand what makes the desktop vaporizer unique and how it can help (and satisfy) you.
What is a desktop vaporizer?
Regular dry herb vapers use a desktop dry herb vaporizer, which relies on an electrical outlet for power as opposed to portable devices that rely on batteries. It’s stationary, so it isn’t meant for use on the go. If you like vaping with friends or with a group, you’ll find the desktop vape an excellent choice.
Also known as a tabletop vaporizer, this vaping device is larger in size compared to portable ones. This only means that the vaporizer can fit in more dry herbs as opposed to smaller-sized devices.
Tabletop vaporizers vaporize concentrates or herbs by heating them. This is called convection heating, a method that uses accurate or precise temperature control. This means you can set your vape to your preferred temperature every session. When the temperature is high enough, cannabinoids are released and turned into vapor.
The desktop vaporizer has a chamber or bowl, where the herbs are placed for heating. In convection heating vapes, the heating element and the heating chamber are not right beside or near each other. When you draw from your mouthpiece, your vaporizer releases heat into the air and this hot air will then flow to the chamber, where the herbs are. This produces vapor.
There are dry herb vaporizer users who like to play safe; so, it’s important to note that using a stationary vaporizer is better than smoking a joint, which is a combustion method. Getting smoke into your lungs is more dangerous compared to inhaling vapor.
Types of desktop vaporizers
Even if they’re mostly for home use, the best dry herb vaporizers come in different types or styles. This makes it easy for anyone to choose one that fits their needs or preferences.
- Balloon vaporizers
A desktop dry herb vaporizer that uses a balloon bag is called a balloon vaporizer. It is one of the most popular methods for desktop vape users.
The balloon tabletop vaporizer works differently from your regular desktop vaping device. To use it, you’ll have to turn on the machine, pack the chamber with herbs, and then connect the balloon bag. As soon as you turn on the fan, the bag will puff up because of the vapor. Once it is already at your preferred capacity, you can take the balloon and start vaping. The device traps the vapor inside.
One session is equivalent to around 10 minutes, so it can also work for groups. When it’s all used up, you can start passing it around again after refilling the chamber.
- Whip vaporizers
A whip vaporizer has tubing that’s connected to the chamber. It’s where the hot vapor or air flows going to the herbs when you draw from the whip’s opposite end. The volume of vapor that comes out depends on how you draw on the vape.
Vapor density is easy to check through the transparent tube. This makes whips the preferred choice for vapers who want to monitor and control how much vapor is created and inhaled.
This desktop vaporizer allows you to take breaks in between sessions; all you have to do is turn the machine off.
Whip tabletop vaporizers are multiple-user adapter devices, so you can connect two whips if you want to. It’s the kind of stuff that social vapers like.
Hybrid tabletop vaporizers
If you cannot decide which of the two—balloon or whip—you want, you can go for the hybrid tabletop vaporizers. These are the best dry herb vaporizers for desktop users who want to explore which one satisfies them the most. A little experiment can significantly help beginners.
The only downside to the hybrid or dual desktop vaporizer is that since it combines two methods, it’s not as strong as the single-method ones. However, this does not mean that hybrids won’t satisfy you; they are still capable of delivering a memorable vaping experience.
Pros and cons of desktop vaporizers
There are several reasons why those with a strong vaping appetite still use tabletop vaporizers despite the many high-technology portable devices in the market.
- Tabletop vaporizers are connected to electricity. You do not have to worry about losing power or draining batteries. You can use your desktop vaporizer anytime you want and as long as you want to. Portable vaping devices have power that’s only as good as their batteries’ life. Frequent recharging can be inconvenient, too.
A dry herb desktop vaporizer is more practical because you won’t have to keep replacing batteries or purchasing chargers. All you need is a working electric socket.
- Since desktop herb vaporizers are plugged into an electric network, they are capable of producing higher volumes of and more powerful vapor. The impact is bigger and stronger, especially when compared with their portable counterparts.
In addition, since their chamber is more spacious, you’ll enjoy longer sessions.
- Another advantage of a desktop herb vaporizer is its use of the convection method. This is what makes these tabletop devices efficient and potent and their herb flavorful. Being electric socket-powered is another reason for the tabletop vaporizer’s heating element potency.
The convection method is also what makes it less harmful than the combustion method.
- The desktop vaporizer’s inhalation method is safer and more convenient.
Whether you use the balloon variety, the whip, or the hybrid tabletop vaporizer, inhaling is easier because you’ll do it through a balloon bag or silicone tube. Portable vaporizers will require you to apply a certain technique when you draw from them.
Desktop device vapor also cools down easily for safer and more convenient inhalation.
- The large size of tabletop vaporizers is an advantage because it allows for advanced technology to be applied to the devices. Its temperature controls and big chambers contribute to a memorable and satisfying vaping experience.
- If you’re fond of inviting friends over or if parties are your thing, the stationary vaporizer can be useful.
Using a portable device when vaping with a group is impractical as the battery can drain in a matter of minutes. You’ll all have to wait until the vaporizer is refilled, and this can be inconvenient and time-consuming.
A cannabis desktop vaporizer is ideal because power is continuous. Once it’s plugged in, you won’t have to worry about losing power or cutting your session short. Also, since the chamber is bigger, there’s no need to refill now and then.
Tabletop vaporizers have disadvantages, too, and here are some of them:
- The biggest disadvantage of the stationary vaporizer is its dependence on electricity. This makes them difficult to carry around when you need to travel or move to another location. You can bring it over to your friend’s house, but you won’t be able to take it with you to your weekend outdoor adventures, or anywhere where there is no electricity or electric socket.
- Stationary vaporizers are large in size, and this can be a problem for those who prefer to vape discreetly. They cannot be kept inside your pocket or hidden inside the drawer when necessary. You can’t tuck them safely inside your luggage as well.
- Although affordable alternatives are now available, a dry desktop herb vaporizer can cost you a lot of money. Since they are equipped with advanced technology and sophisticated controls and features, they often come with an expensive price tag.
Are stationary vaporizers healthier?
Numerous types of research have proven that smoking can destroy our lungs. Its combustion method has a harmful effect that can worsen as the years go by. Every time you light and smoke a cigarette, tobacco, or herb, you inhale tons of toxins that will then enter the bloodstream and invade your body. This is what combustion (or igniting) does.
However, if you use a desktop vape for your herb, you won’t need to ignite or light it up. The vaporizer converts your herb into vapor and this, in many ways, is healthier because you won’t be exposed to the harmful impacts of combustion.
So, is it worth buying?
If you value power, vapor quality, efficiency, consistency oversize, and portability, getting yourself a cannabis desktop vaporizer can significantly enhance your cannabis experience, making it a worthwhile purchase.