When it comes to dry herbs, there are a couple of ways that you can consume them. You can either smoke them or vaporize them. But when it comes to the actual device that you can use to smoke or vape your favorite strain, sometimes the best experience is to just take a good long hit from a classic glass water bong.
Water bongs have come a long way since the early days, especially back when the stigma associated with cannabis consumption was still very high (pun intended). But ever since the legalization of cannabis across multiple states in the US and a few countries around the world, that stigma has slowly died down to the point that cannabis culture and nerd culture are starting to collide. Yes, cannabis is quickly going to the nerds, especially when you look at the cool bongs in the market and the innovation that are going into their designs and technology.
Nowadays, you’re still seeing glass water pipes and bongs. In fact, I’m pretty sure that if you’re reading this, you probably have a portable bong or two in your collection. But the variety in the way these devices look, their design, and their overall aesthetics, today’s unique bongs are next level. These days, everywhere you look, there’s a new high-tech bong that’s being released by some startup from California. Established companies are also coming up with innovative products, from that compact electric bong to a laser-powered dab rig to dry herb vapes with ultra-precise temp control.
With such innovations and the constantly evolving technology behind today’s high-tech water pipes and bongs, it’s not at all surprising that a growing number of people, cannabis enthusiasts, and connoisseurs are being won over. Don’t get me wrong, a hit from an old-school glass bong is still very enjoyable. But the experience that you get from a well-made, quality high-tech bong just blows everything out of the water.
However, just because it’s a cool high-tech water pipe or bong doesn’t mean that it’s going to blow your mind. There are many different types of high-tech devices and cannabis accessories in the market, and not all of them are good or even worth your time.
The different types of bongs and their main features
Not every type of bong or water pipe will give you the experience that you expect, as some water bongs will serve you better than the others. The quality of experience, the look, and the aesthetics, when it comes to bongs and pipes are subjective. It all depends on your personal preference. But there are a few key factors that make a specific type of glass water bong more popular to some groups of individuals and not to others. One of these is the material used in the creation of the bong.
Classic water pipes and bongs are not created the same when it comes to the material. Some are made with high temp-resistant glass, which is the most popular option among many enthusiasts, while others are made from acrylic for its durability and low cost, ceramic for the inherent artistry and old-school appeal, bamboo for its uniqueness and environmental appeal, and then there are bongs and pipes that are made from some type of metal, which are extremely durable.
Now, not all of these will appeal to every single individual. Personally, I just prefer a good glass water bong. They just look cool and very artistic. Nowadays many classic glass bongs are becoming collector’s items as many consider them to be pieces of art and history. Apart from the material, however, many types of bongs are available in the market today. The following are just some of the most popular and widely used:
- Beaker and round-base bongs – These are probably among the most common and widely used types of water bongs out there. They’re a classic by this point. Beaker and round base bongs are often made from high temp-resistant glass or acrylic.
- Straight tube/cylindrical bong – Another staple in college dorm rooms and frat houses. Straight tube bongs look similar to a beaker or round base bongs, except for the glaring characteristic that’s in its name.
- Multi-chamber bongs – Now we’re slowly getting into slightly high-tech territory. Multi-chamber bongs are quite innovative in that they have two or more sets of percolators and they support several different smoking materials. Multi-chamber bongs are also referred to as “percs,” short for percolators.
- Tree and showerhead percs – These are bongs that follow a slightly different principle when it comes to filtering smoke. The tree perc and showerhead perc are both percolators, a type of water bong that features another layer of smoke filtration, providing a smoother and more satisfying experience.
- The bubbler bong – This is a type of bong that has quite an innovative design. Although it’s quite normal to refer to a bong as a water pipe, a glass bubbler is certainly close to glass water pipes in terms of its construction and design. Bubblers are popular among enthusiasts as they are arguably the most portable water filtration device for cannabis enthusiasts.
- Electric bongs – Now we’re deep into the more high-tech bong designs. The electric bong is just one of the latest devices that burst onto the scene, along with dry herb vaporizers that are also powered by electricity. Electric bongs are heat-not-burn devices, which means no combustion occurs inside the chamber where the herb is packed in. Instead, the device heats the flower through laser or conduction heating, effectively vaporizing all the good stuff that you then inhale.
There you go. Those are just a few of the more popular types of bongs. Many of them are considered high-tech in their own way, especially when it comes to the level of innovation applied to their designs. The question now is, is it worth investing in a high-tech bong? If so, what type of bong should you get?
What are some of the best high-tech bongs in the market today?
When it comes to the best bongs available in the market, there are just too many of them to mention in this blog. But here are a few of the most popular and innovative ones that I think are worth investing in, in no particular order.
- Hitoki Trident v2 – The Hitoki Trident was already a pretty good, battery-powered water bong that has shown everyone just how far we’ve come in the world of water pipes and bongs. Now, they’ve come up with a second version, which is just as good if not better. The device works by using a laser and a sealed chamber to heat your flower. The Trident v2 can provide you with a great experience if you’re looking for a high-tech bong that is worth investing in.
- Stündenglass Gravity Bong – Different tech offers different experiences to different individuals, but you can’t deny the level of innovation that has been put into this device. The Stündenglass Gravity Bong is exactly what it sounds like. It is a gravity-operated contraption that features a 360-degree rotating glass that moves as the water is pulled down by gravity, providing excellent airflow. You have to see how it works to fully appreciate its unique design and innovation.
- Session Goods Bong – If Apple designed a glass bong, it would probably look like the Session Goods Bong. This designer bong has a simple yet clean design. It is made of borosilicate glass with a silky smooth, tapered shape and molded indent for a comfortable, ergonomic grip. The base of the bong is encased in silicone rubber to protect the glass from scratches and impact damage. It doesn’t look as high-tech as the previous entries, but so did the first iPhone. And look where we are now.
So those are my top three bongs that I would recommend if you’re looking to invest in a high-tech, innovative bong. Obviously, there are dozens of different types of bongs out there, with different designs and levels of innovation. These are just my opinions. The question is, are you ready to invest in modern, high-tech bongs?
What factors should you consider when choosing a high-tech bong?
When choosing a water bong, regardless of the tech or design, there are a few key factors that you must consider. One of these is the material. In my opinion, you can never go wrong with borosilicate glass, especially if it’s for indoor use. Clear acrylic is also a good choice if you’re looking for a portable bong that you can just throw in your backpack.
The heat source is also something you should consider. Most traditional bongs use torches, while electric bongs use batteries to heat the dry material. If you believe you’re ready for electric bongs, then you should go for it. But these devices can be quite expensive, which brings us to the next deciding point, the price.
If you’re not yet ready to spend big bucks on electric bongs, then perhaps you should start with smaller and less costly alternatives like dry herb vaporizers. You can take this opportunity to see if heat-not-burn technology is your thing. Otherwise, you should probably look at traditional glass water bongs and pipes.